Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Husband Ran the Race But I am the One Still Recovering

Lat weekend, Duke ran the Rio del Lago 100 mile, or almost ran the Rio del Lago 100 mile. Let's just say he got 75 miles down the trail and had to call it a day (or night in this case). Let me rewind a little bit...

Friday Morning:
Duke leaves for the starting line. He gets a great night's sleep and is up and ready at 3:00 Saturday morning. The only issues were they had changed the course and rearranged aid stations last minute and therefore he had to scramble to reorganize his drop bags.

Saturday Morning:
I leave the house with the kids, an ice chest, chairs to sit on, a couple of blankets an extra backpack of things for Duke, and snacks for the kids. (Turns out later, this wasn't enough.) We pick up our friend, Ramiro, and head down the road. I was smart enough to leave earlier than I had originally planned knowing full well that I get panicky when I think I am going to miss Duke at an aid station. We arrived at the first station with 30-40 minute to spare. Duke was ahead of schedule! Glad I left early!

Saturday Afternoon:
We arrive at the next aid station only to find out that no crew it allowed there. Apparently one of the changes in the schedule that we didn't know about. We parked a little ways around the corner and waited for Duke. Of course he went through the aid station without seeing us until he came around the corner. I had texted him but he wasn't reading his texts. So he had already eaten at the station and he didn't want what I had ready for him except the fruit. It was when he argued with me about taking his hat and sunglasses that I began to get that "feeling" in the pit of my stomach. But as usual, I ignored it. I had kids bickering with each other and arguing with me, so I just pushed it aside and headed to the next aid station.

Saturday Early Evening:
We decided to get as early dinner before parking at the aid station that was just adjacent to the restaurant. I had kids to feed and it seemed like we had plenty of time. Again, the feeling in the pit of my stomach. By the time we ate and drove next door, the next parking space was at least a half a mile down the road. Duke was early, again, we had all of our stuff to haul up to meet him, and no hot food waiting for him. Never mind, he was fine. Ramiro began pacing him and we got ready for him to come around the loop for his next break.

Saturday Late Evening:
By this time, Duke's second pacer, Anil, had arrived to take over. Anil is a seasoned ultrarunner so I knew Duke would be in good hands. Anil insisted that we go get the pizza and hot coffee for Duke. I went along with it although my gut told me that he wouldn't want it. (It turns out I was right about this.) While we waited with the pizza, Ramiro came running up with out Duke. He had run ahead because they realized that the things that Duke needed were in the backpack in the car! When Duke came around the second time he ate a little, drank something warm, and put on a light jacket. We were emptying out backpacks trying to find his Tailwind (electrolyte drink) and a few other things when I knew something wasn't right about his drop bags and equipment. The problem was,  I couldn't put my finger on what was missing and/or where it was. That feeling again...

Sunday Morning 1:30, 75 miles:
I get a text from Anil. Duke was done. I knew I had to call and hear his voice. In the past I have talked to him and known that he was just tired but could keep going.  He was cold, tired, and he was walking a 1-2 mile and hour pace. When I heard his voice this time, I knew it was time to quit. My heart sank a little as I knew how disappointed he was going to feel in a few hours. But I also could tell that he was toast. Ramiro went to pick him up and bring him to the hotel. I laid awake for the hour that it took. I knew that Duke was ok, but I could feel his disappointment as keenly as if it were my own.
When he walked through the door, he was dragging one leg. It threw me back in time to when my mother had had massive hip surgery. A procedure that had bone grafting and screws and she couldn't bear weight on it for 6 months. I remember her first day home. She had gotten herself out of bed with her walker and was leaning of the walker, then standing on the good leg as she dragged the other leg forward by pulling on her sweat pants. Duke didn't have to literally drag his leg, but the next morning he had to lift it with his hands to bring it up and tie his shoe.

It is safe to say, he was smart to end his race early.

When we woke up in the morning, I asked him how he was doing. He replied, "Emotionally or physically?". That's a good question, both. We are now one week later and he is out on a 10 mile fun run with Ramiro. I think he's fine.

So a few things I took away from this experience:

1) I love to support my husband. I hate crewing. But I love him enough to want to love crewing!

2) Don't crew with kids along. (Unless they are old enough and invested enough to really help.)

3) Load the car like it's a camping trip, that way you will everything you could possibly need. This includes all equipment as well as food.

4) Don't try to take care of anyone else besides your runner. There isn't time and it will just stress you out.

5) Follow your gut instincts. They are almost always correct and if they aren't, then most likely you are just over prepared and there is NOTHING wrong with that!


People have been asking Duke if he is looking forward to the next one. He was ready to do another one the next day, just to prove to himself that he can finish 100 miles. I have no doubt that he will finish 100 miles. I just don't need for him to try and prove it anytime soon. I am still recovering from crewing!

Oh, there is one thing that made the whole weekend worth while. I got to be a groupy in the best way possible. When we went to the finish line to get Duke's drop bags, I ran into Rocket (Errol Jones). (I met Rocket when I gave him a ride after a DNF at the Quicksilver 100k.) Rocket was standing there talking to a couple of people. I went up to him to give him a hug and I realized that he was standing next to one of the biggest legends in the ultra community, Ann Trason. Rocket was kind enough to introduce me to her. As always with this community, she was gracious and kind. So if that is who I get to talk to at these races then, ok Duke, you may run another one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment