Friday, March 4, 2011

In the beginning...

Yesterday, my mother asked me if I was going to start a blog.  I told her no, that I was terrible at keeping those sorts of things going.  She replied,"Too bad, you're such a beautiful writer."  The first thing to go through my mind was,"Gee thanks Mom!  What a nice compliment."   Then I thought,"Was that just a backwards guilt trip?"  So whether or not it was sheer egotistical reaction to a compliment, a guilt trip, or both, I am starting a blog about our adventures living abroad in Switzerland.  Please DO NOT be surprised if this lasts for just a month or less.  I am notorious for starting a journal and not keeping up with it.  Most other projects I can follow through on but a journal seems neverending except for when your physical body is dead, and that seems a LONG time away from now!

We have been here in Zurich for 11 days.  In that time, we have searched for a permanent house to live in, Kim and I have been to the urgent care to be diagnosed with Strep Throat, we can't get funds transfered from Wells Fargo in the US because they are stupid, the HR department of my husband's company doesn't know how to keep their ducks in a row to help with house leases or the banking and Duke is also on antibiotics for a sinus infection.  Other than that, it has been beautiful to run along the lake, the kids having enjoyed playing by the water, Rustle likes swimming (of course!) and we have now resolved the lease for our house so we can move in on Monday.   It actually is later than we wanted as the kids start school on Monday as well.  It will be a busy day!  We also were invited to go go-carting last weekend with a family from the company and two other families have invited us for brunch this Sunday. 

I wish there were more exciting things to report, but honestly, these first days here are rather mundane or stressful, depending on the given day and project of getting settled.  Hopefully more will come next week!  Much love and blessings to all!


A very personal side note:

I am actually a bit frustrated with myself for not being more patient with the whole house process.  It never helps to get tied in knots.  Of course, now I am impatient with myself for being impatient. HA! Luckily, my friend Terry gave me a book before I left that I have been reading during the dull waiting game hours.  It is Brooke Medicine Eagles's "Buffalo Woman Comes Singing".  I have seen the book before, but have never been attracted to it.  Obviously the time wasn't right, because it is now!  It is wonderful to read about the idea of the "Rainbow Tribe"and to think that I have the honor of coming over here with all that I have learned from my elders on Turtle island (North America).

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME to switzerland!!!!

    Jacqueline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the SAME WAY when it comes to journals. I have several journals (and even blogs) that I've started in the past and just not kept up with. It makes sense, since you and I are so similar in so many other ways....

    ReplyDelete